A series of guitar solos illustrating some of the moods and discoveries of the
composer when he was young and fancy free ... at college.
- Innocence Asleep - a gentle tune depicting the baby Jesus
- Lamento (Gethsemane) - part of a long lost Easter Suite, reflecting the sorrow in the
- Hyde Park Rag - a quasi ragtime composed on the composer´s first outing from
Oxford to London.
- Fantasia from the other bank - the downward sweep of the strangely augmented
chord represents the composer´s initial feeling of surprise when he realises he is "from
the other bank" ("vom anderen Ufer" is German slang for gay)
- Prelude in Dorian mode (Dorian Serendipity) - the beginning of a long love affair
with this mode, in which the major 6th and minor third give a special flavour.
- The Princess´s Tune - a curiously atonal piece based on a short theme given to the
composer by a "very shy" fellow student known as the Princess.
- Quelques minutes espagnoles - first venture into the Spanish flavours of guitar music
- Sketch in Blue - an early experiment making use of blues harmonies